Mar 16, 2010

If God is Sovereign and Loving...Then Why?

...this is a question that I have asked myself. This is a question I have attempted to explain to my bedroom walls time and time again. This is also a question that I attempted to explain while giving an apologetics card yesterday evening. It's not an easy question, and the answer makes me quite uncomfortable.

If God is so good, why do I hurt? If God is so sovereign and loves us all so much, then why is there evil in the world? If God is so omniscient and omnipotent, then why do I suffer? If God is sovereign and desires perfection, then why did He allow us to fall, and still hold us accountable?

I was explaining the thought process to a friend that night, and I reached the end of my explication and said, "So, it's almost comforting... I don't have to have an answer. But then you look at it and you realize, 'Bummer! I don't have an answer!'"

The basic, underlying question behind this issue is... "If God is so powerful and loving, why does He give Himself the prerogative to allow "bad" things to happen to people?" (such as sin, suffering, and hell)

Romans 9:18-20 (The verses preceding this passage are facinating, by the way)
“So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires. You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?" On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it?

1. God has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires.
2. The human response is, "Well, why?! If God is so loving, why does he allow suffering?"
3. God's response, "Who are you, O man, who answers back to God?"
4. Man's response, "Oh darn."

Tim Keller, a presbyterian pastor, says something that I found quite interesting...
"If you have a God great and transcendent enough to be mad at because he hasn’t stopped evil and suffering in the world, then you have (at the same moment) a God great and transcendent enough to have good reasons for allowing it to continue that you can’t know. Indeed, you can’t have it both ways.”

I would posit that an individual's faith is not where it ought to be when they look at God's actions and distrustfully ask "Why?". That individual has more faith in their judgement of God, than of God's knowledge, wisdom, and faithfulness. Faith is authentic when it looks at God with a sense of submission to His all-knowing, all-powerful, sovereign, loving, gracious nature... and asks, "Why?" with a sense of wonder. This requires realizing that our finitude does not compare to God's infinite nature.

Does this answer make me uncomfortable? Yes. But not uncomfortable with God, necessarily. Rather, I'm uncomfortable with... myself. If I elevate God to His true position in the universe and in my understanding... I am left to stand in wonder and amazement... because rather than deeming God as the irrational one, ...I realize that I'm incapable of understanding.

Only when I realize how much I am not, can I truly realize how great God is.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Lauren. You are a thinker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First: I LOVE Tim Keller! He is one of my favorite writers

    Second: I know exactly what you're talking about. Especially lately. I start thinking "If God is loving and sovereign, why does he let my ache so bad inside, and why does he allow emptiness." I always have to go back to the cross, and like you said, realize that I need to trust the Lord completely. In one of his books, I'm pretty sure it's Reason For God, Tim Keller said that while we can say "How can a loving God allow pain and suffering." He poses the question, why isn't anyone asking, how come an all powerful just God, ever shows us any mercy at all. It was an interesting twist, and one that I keep going back to for encouragement. God not only chooses to be completely just, but at the same time, he is completely merciful, something that constantly amazes me.

    That was a lot longer than I intended it to be, but there ya go, and great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often found that God allows our doubts so that by trying to answer them we come to a fuller understanding and love of Him.
    Great post, Lauren! You explained well a question EVERYONE struggles hard with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid Post! A question though--

    Isn't it a little arrogant to assume that our own failings could possibly alter God's attitude towards us? in such a scenario, we basically have a measure of control over God through our own actions, unless you believe it all to be preordained (?) This makes it all a bit meaningless as far as we're concerned, but that seem to be the consensus...

    Myself, I take comfort in the fact that God neither opproves of nor sends down evil upon his creatures, rather he tolerates our free will, for the time being at least, including the aftereffects of Adam and Eve's rather disasterous use of it back in the day. A comforting system of thought for me, at least, which also predates Calvinism, etc by a good thousand years...

    Cheers, at any rate! :)

    ~RandomSaxon

    ReplyDelete