Mar 3, 2010

To Truly be Beautiful...

Girls,
I know we have all heard that true beauty is within. We ought not to wear our beauty, but rather, be it. This issue of true beauty in a young lady is not a "been there and done that" sort of issue. Rather, it's a constant process. Being truly beautiful should not be thought of as an end, but rather, as a compass point.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Here's what I've concluded...

No matter how much we discover about God, there is always more to know. While I understand that my finite nature cannot parallel God's infinite nature in this manner, the principle is worth emulation. The people that I most respect in my life are the people that I never get to the bottom of. My father is a case in point. No matter how much I get to know him, there is always more about him to know; he constantly surprises me with his knowledge, insight, and wisdom. As a young lady, that is the trait that I want to have. A character that runs deep.

John Stonestreet, the executive director of Summit Ministries, said, "Purity and excellence in your life is never a line, it is a direction." My friends, beauty is not achieved, it is pursued. Beauty is not a finish line, it's a track. This view of beauty has a different perspective, a different dimension, and a different focus. It is hidden so deep that its not always visible to others at first. Why? Because this sort of beauty is cultivated in secret - in your personal studies, in your relationship with God, while you seek the face of your creator, and while you strive to be like Christ and follow His commands.

I'm not trying to imply that we're supposed to hide, or be less transparent. God does not call us to hide our character, but rather to have deep character. I want to be the type of girl who grows where no one can see her. I want to be the type of girl who cares so much about what God thinks, and realizes how great He is, that her pursuit of beauty, excellence, and purity never ends.

God says in 1 Peter 3:3-4...
"Your adornment must not be merely external--braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God."

The phrase, "Let it be the hidden person of the heart" takes on a new meaning when we view beauty as a direction and not an achievement. That hidden person of the heart can continue to grow and deepen as long as we continually pursue that which is precious in the sight of God.

6 comments:

  1. I like it Lauren I think you are right on track. What a good reminder. The part about Beauty being hidden reminds me about humility. If we are trying to be Beautiful on the inside, but flouncing it about to show how good we are, we are not doing a good job of achieving beauty because we stumbling on pride. But when we are truly humble we will not be placing our inward beauty out for all to see but we are holding on to it as a gift that people have to seek in order to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen.
    Thank you for a timely reminder that beauty is not who we are on the outside, but on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen sister! Not only do I think that's true, but I was very encouraged by that. Keep it up!

    P.S. I think you're very beautiful. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lauren!!! I posted a comment earlier, but I guess it didn't go through. I basically said that this was a wonderful post, and I loved so many things that you said, and Iw as wondering if I could post it on Bonded in Christ. It's fine if you'd rather I not, but this is so perfect for that website! Thanks for sharing with us!
    Belle

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Everyone: Thank you all so much for your feedback!

    @Belle: Thanks for commenting again! For some odd reason I didn't receive your first comment. But as to posting this post on Bonded in Christ, absolutely! Go ahead and post it, that would be awesome. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course. I'm just happy to find any opportunity to share with the girls involved in BinChrist. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete