Jan 31, 2010

Tournament Marathon Reflections

I've been sucked into the whirlwind of tournament season. My mother and I have since decided that never again are we going to be stupid enough to attend two tournaments one after another. Three days is not enough time to recover, especially when you're up until at least midnight each night researching. However, at the end of a long two weeks, I can definitely say that I've seen two things. First, my utter inadaquacy, and second, the blessing of improvement.

2 Corinithans 3:5-6
Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from oursleves, but our adequacy is from God, who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit: for the letter kills, but the Spirit gies life.

1 Corinthians 2:1-5
And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testomony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. I was with you in seakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

So now, as I reach the end of the day, and the beginning of a long three weeks or so before I head off on another tournament adventure, I'm left with one thought that is worth remembering. ...Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

I spent the last two weeks honing my persuasive speaking skills, and practicing that by speaking about God's truth, the experiences of my life, and current environmental policy. (Apologetics, Impromptu, and Team Policy Debate) However, God's message does not depend on my ability. Paul didn't come with persuasive words. He came in fear and much trembling. So while I believe that it is important to sharpen my skills as a communicator... that is completely insignificant compared to Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

Not only that, but Jesus Christ, and Him crucified is the only reason that I am able to improve. I cannot consider anything as coming from myself because my adaquacy is from God. I'm made adaquate, why? ... because I am "a servant of a new covenant"... Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

At the two tournaments, my debate partner, Eric, and I place fourth out of 45 teams, and forth out of 17 teams. I placed third and fourth in apologetics. I qualified to regionals in all of the events I competed in... at both tournaments. But at the end of the day, I can't say it was me, and I can't say that it means anything when compared to what really matters.

My trophies will collect dust, my medals will be forgotten, and my certificates will get folded and stored, or simply thrown away. No one will remember the results in a week or two. And at this point I have to say, that in light of the awards, I feel more insignificant. In light of the placings, I feel more inadaquate. Yes, the results are a blessing, but they must be realized in the correct light, or else they present a false hope. ...I resolve to know nothing except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

2 Corinthians 5:14-15
For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died: and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Lauren, for that perspective on this! I hope that I can have that mindset as well. (PS, you're totally right about two tournaments in a row...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,
    Thank you so much! I really needed to hear that, and you put it in a straightforward way.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren,

    It was nice to see you at the tournament!

    Thanks for praying with me before my apologetics. :) I was a little nervous. ;)

    ~Shiloh

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Shiloh. Anytime, dear. ;)

    ReplyDelete