Feb 2, 2010

Vulnerability

This is mainly to the young ladies that may frequent this blog.

I've been reading "Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood" by Piper and Grudem, and near the beginning, Piper (quoting another writer) lays out some positive characteristics of a woman. Amidst the array of important and amiable qualities, I came across "Vulnerable (emotionally open)".

This surprised me. It wouldn't seem that vulnerability would be a positive characteristic. However, as I thought about it further... being vulnerable doesn't mean you have to be weak. It communicates more of a transparent honesty. It's a "handle with care" sign, really. I'll admit, I'm vulnerable. Do I have a reason to hide it? ...no. Do others need to see it? ...yes.

However, also included in the list of positive characteristics is the quality, "Enduring." ...requiring strength. Strength enough to withstand, strength enough to press on, strength enough to conquer.

There is a balance that must be kept. I have personally seen myself err on both sides of the equasion, and I've seen other young ladies do the same. Either we're overly strong, and therefore, not vulnerable enough. Or, we use the "vulnerable" characteristic as an exuse, avoiding the difficulty it takes to endure. Neither is acceptable.

There's a type of humility that's communicated in vulnerability. However, while vulnerability says, "I'll be honest about where I struggle," endurance says, "I'll press forward, claiming the strength of Christ."

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully stated.

    Interesting that "Confide" and "Confident" seem to come from the same root word...to be vulnerable and open displays confidence. Great quote here from Piper and Grudem!

    ReplyDelete